Citizens Against Political Assassinations
CAPA Sponsors Judge John Tunheim at NPC for Sunshine Week
Washington, DC. Leaders in the JFK research community will convene at the National Press Club during “Sunshine Week” in March to underscore the historical importance of the scheduled release next October by the National Archives of the final batch of declassified documents about the 1963 assassination of President Kennedy.
At the invitation of CAPA John R. Tunhein, former chairman of the Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB) and now chief U.S. district judge for Minnesota, will deliver a keynote address at the National Press Club regarding the scheduled release by Oct. 26 of the remaining sealed JFK assassination papers.
CAPA will also release statements by the ARRB members and more than two dozen other experts, including three surviving members of the Warren Commission staff, seeking full release of the remaining sealed records, as authorized by Congress in 1992.
Speakers at the forum include CAPA chairman Dr. Cyril H. Wecht, J.D., M.D., the noted forensic pathologist, and Dr. John M. Newman, Ph.D., a history professor, former Army intelligence officer, and the author of "JFK and Vietnam" and “Oswald and the CIA” and “Where Angels Tread Lightly” and “Countdown to Darkness.”
The forum in the press club's Zenger Room is tentatively scheduled to begin with a news conference at 1 p.m. for members of the news media, with admission for others as space permits. At 2:15 p.m., the forum will continue with additional presentations, author book signings and networking for JFK researchers. Visit here http://capa-hq.com/ for more details, or contact CAPA's organizer Andrew Kreig.
CAPA has reserved a room from noon to 5 p.m. on Thursday, March 16, with the flexibility to adjust according to schedules of the VIP participants.
The projected panels below can be adjusted, including to create stand-alone keynotes. Sunshine Week extends from March 13 to March 17, 2017 nationally and in Washington, DC. Sunshine Week was created by the American Society of Newspaper Editors (ASNE) and the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP) to foster open government.
Keynote Dialog: NARA Progress In Releasing Final JFK Assassination Papers By October, 2017 Deadline
· Keynote: The Hon. John R. Tunheim, J.D., Chief U.S. District Judge, Minnesota, and former chairman, Assassination Records Review Board (ARRB)
· John M. Newman, Ph.D., author of “Oswald and the CIA” and other books, former Army intelligence officer and assistant to the National Security Agency director, and former University of Maryland professor
· Cyril H. Wecht, J.D., M.D., forensic pathologist, medical school professor, leader or former leader multiple professional societies, author or co-author of nearly 50 books, CAPA chairman and former Allegheny County coroner for 20 years
What Might We Find In 3,600 New Documents Based On Recent Revelations?
· James H. Lesar, J.D., FOIA expert and president, Assassination Archives & Research Center (AARC)
· Nate Jones, M.A., Director of the Freedom of Information Act Project, National Security Archive, George Washington University
· David Talbot, “The Devil’s Chessboard” and “Brothers” author, San Francisco Chronicle columnist, CAPA advisory board member and Salon founder and former editor-in-chief
· Jefferson Morley, author of “Our Man In Mexico City” and other books, AlterNet Washington correspondent, JFKFacts.org editor litigating JFK FOIA cases and former Washington Post reporter
Russ Baker, WhoWhatWhy founder and editor, media commentator, and author of best-selling “Family of Secrets” and a forthcoming JFK book
Adam A. Marshall, J.D., Knight Foundation Litigation Attorney, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press (RCFP)
· David S. Ferriero, Ph.D., Archivist of the United States, National Archives and Records Administration (NARA) or Martha W. Murphy, FOIA Public Liaison, Executive Branch,
Andrew Kreig, J.D., M.S.L., Justice Integrity Project director, author, and Citizens Against Political Assassination Board (CAPA) board , ASNE, SPJ and National Press Club member, moderator
Next Steps In Fact Finding
Lawrence Schnapf, J.D., attorney and Citizens Against Political Assassination Board (CAPA) board member, moderator
Meet the Authors - Attendees can meet the prominent authors /speakers and buy books for signing.
Also, a special tutorial session will be held on “How To Study the Kennedy Assassination.”
Finally, CAPA will hold a reception at the close of the program for speakers and CAPA members.
CAPA, a non-partisan research organization (www.capa-hq.com), is taking the lead in organizing this event to assemble a broad coalition of media and research groups to co-sponsor and thereby underscore the importance of the forthcoming disclosures. C-SPAN and other wide news coverage is planned. # # #